Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Magnolia Christmas Card




This card was made specifically for the CDAC Seasonal Fun Challenge. We are supposed to make a project reflecting the weather is our area using at least one digital element. I had to wait until I got a winter digital element. I had all kinds of trouble with trying to download zip files at my local library. I finally found an artist who sent me a jpg file instead. Thanks to Teri at Delicious Doodles I have this great image called Snowy Mailbox. I love this image and had a lot of fun trying to figure out what to do with it. I like it just the way it is in black and white and so I left it that way. I did add just a hint of green to the pine trees. I wanted to emphasize the snow and so I added snow tec. The snow dried before I could get any glitter sprinkled on it, so I misted it with Mr. Huey Shine color mist. Boy was it shiny. I rubbed some of it off. It hurt my eyes to look at it (just like real snow LOL).

 I did not have any winter stamps involving people, so I found the adorable Tilda with winter heart scarf. I did not want to take away from the mailbox image, but I wanted the snowflakes that surround Tilda. I ended up stamping her on vellum. I cut her out with a die from Lifestyle Crafts. I colored the vellum around her with B00 copic. I used copics and colored pencil on Tilda (but, darn it, I could not find my gamisol so it didn't turn out as good as I would have liked). Since vellum is see-thru, it is difficult to find an adhesive that does not show through. I chose instead to attach it with a decorative brad. I used a die from Spellbinders and silver glitter paper from Michaels to make the silver snowflake. I also added a snowflake to the ribbon using a Martha Stewart punch.

I don't usually send out winter cards, so I made a vellum label using another Spellbinders die and added a Merry Christmas sentiment. Rhinestones cover up the adhesive. I colored it with B00 to match the other vellum.

Here are some close ups:




 
Here are links to the challenges I am entering:
 
http://christmasblogchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/    Snowflakes falling all around
http://tildastown.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/challenge-41-christmas/
http://theprettylittleribbonshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/february-challenge-19-anything-goes.html
http://abcchristmaschallenge.blogspot.com.au/    D is for Designer Paper
http://youmeandmagnolia.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/challenge-8-alles-mag-anything-goes.html

21 comments:

Priscilla said...

What great coloring on your image and love the bg paper. What a pleasure to visit your blog .Thank you so much for playing the CDAC PROGRESSIVE CHALLENGES Can't wait to see what you will come up with for the other challenges going on. Remember you can enter as many times as you like till March 31st. Happy crafting.
Priscilla

Anonymous said...

we'd love to have you join at Tilda's Town Challenges too... it's Christmas this week! http://tildastown.wordpress.com

Leslie - The Addicted One said...

Your detail to everything is awesome. What is the background stamp? Gorgeous. You inspire me!

NPurdum56 said...

So very pretty! I love that background image! So wintery! :) Nancee

Karen said...

Very pretty! Great design! : )

Unknown said...

Annette,your seasonal winter card is stunning. Great idea to use the vellum for the tilda stamp and the sentiment, so that you don't lose that beautiful scene. Thank you so much for playing the CDAC PROGRESSIVE CHALLENGES. *Hugs*

Pamela said...

Thank you for joining us at Winter Wonderland this week with
your beautiful Tilda card.

Pam x

loz said...

Fantastic card and Beautiful coloring Annette..Loz

downrightcrafty said...

beautiful creation and gorgeous snowflakes, such a frosty feel, thank you for joining us at the Winter Wonderland
Hugs Kate xx

please consider taking your word verification off :)

Carla Burger said...

Gorgeous card Annette. Thanks for joining us at Tilda's Town Challenges this week and good luck. Hugs Carla.

Rene said...

How pretty! Love how you used the snowflake to anchor the ribbon! Great background too!
Rene :D

Teresa said...

Gorgeous card, love the background too, thanks for joining in the Tilda's Town Christmas Challenge.
Teresa x

cabio's craft corner said...

Gorgeous card with beautiful scenery background and your Tilda is awesome :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

Ribbon Girl said...

Your card is really lovely – the background is very nice - thank you so much for joining in with the February Ribbon Girl Magnolia Only Challenge, Mary x

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty scene, beautifully done
Hugs Julie P

Maris said...

lovely winter card you made, thanks for joining in at YMAM

inge said...

What a gorfeuos winter card. Love the details and colours you've used. Thanks so much for sharing at Simply Magnolia.

XX Inge

Bettina L. said...

This is absolutely precious. Love the design with the snowflakes, bow and beautifully background winter scene too. Thanks for playing at ABC Christmas Challenge and good luck, Hope to see you back wednesday for another challenge. Bettina xx PS: please remove the double sided word verification as it is so hard to read for us that love to make a comment for you.

Angela said...

This is a really fantastic creation.
Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge.
Many greetings
Angela

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely card, thanks for visiting my blog, good luck with the candy, I've followed you too, enjoy the rest if your weeks Mandz x

Karin said...

Gorgeous!
Thanks for joining us at Simply Magnolia!
Hugs Karin