Monday, February 4, 2013

Working with Shimmer Sheets

This card was actually made for a challenge at my local scrapbooking store called Cut It Out. The owner (Kelly) teaches some fun classes, including a copic class every month. In January's copic class, we learned a "no line" technique. Kelly challenged us to go home and try the technique on our own. Also in January we created cards using a new product for us called Shimmer Sheets. This is a very unique paper. It is thick and very shimmery and shiny. It is very pretty, but somewhat difficult to work with (I think). It is a very tough paper. It will not cut with a regular die cut machine like a cuttlebug. It also would not cut with my Vagabond. I ended up having to cut things out by hand after running them through. You cannot use any kind of alcohol product on them because it removes the sheen and regular inkpads rub off. Staz On in the ink of choice when inking directly onto the surface. Another thing to keep in mind when using Shimmer Sheets: Use a lot of adhesive. They are hard to adhere. I used glossy accents on these at the suggestion of Kelly. I used two layers on the one flower and had to glue it twice.

After much time cutting here is what I came up with:

 
You can see the shimmer and the differences in the color. I am not sure that I did Tilda justice with this technique. I had a hard time with her hair. I will experiment more with this technique. I am always so jealous of the beautiful coloring that I see on everyone's blogs. I hope I can get that good someday.
The shimmer sheets come in several colors. I used pink and blue here. The DP is from a pack of Michaels paper called Habitat. I colored the pink rhinestones with a copic marker to match. The flowers have icicles stickles and blue rhinestones from my stash. The rectangle die that I tried to use is from Lifestyle Crafts. The flower is from Spellbinders.
 
I am entering the following challenges:

9 comments:

Rene said...

What a sweet card! Thank you so much for joining us at Stamp and Create's Magnolia Challenge! Good luck and I hope to see you next time!
Rene ;D

Andrea said...

Gorgeous card and I love how you've used the sketch! The shimmery paper looks fantastic!
TFS with us this week :)
Andrea

Janet O'Brien said...

all the effort with the shimmer paper has payed off :) Lovely card and the colouring looks great Janet - Guest Dt @ Annabelle Stamps

Nancie Quah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancie Quah said...

This is a wonderful card. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamp and Create with Magnolia Challenge.
Hugs, Nancie

A Consuming Passion said...

Sweet little card, great work with the shimmer sheets too!
Thanks for playing along and sharing with AnnaBelle Stamps.

Sonia said...

Wonderful card Annette:) Beautiful Tilda:)
Sonia

Ria Zonnestraaltje said...

Ahh super sweet card ;) thanks for joining us at Stamp And Create With Magnolia :)
hugs Ria

Lacey Stephens said...

Fabulous card! Thank you for playing along with the Stamp and Create with Magnolia Spring Flowers Challenge. We will have another fun challenge for you tomorrow. We hope you can play along again soon!
~Lacey
www.stampandcreate.com
Stamp and Create with Magnolia Owner