Friday, March 16, 2012

A Goodbye Tribute to my Dad

My blog has been silent for a couple of weeks due to the sudden passing of a great man-my dad. He died suddenly at Cleveland Clinic and will be sorely and sadly missed by all who knew and loved him. This past week has been crazy and I have not been able to do any cards to upload for challenges. Instead, my sisters and I worked on posters to place in the funeral home to share a bit of dad with all who came to call. Below are the two posters that I put together. There were so many pictures that it was hard to choose. The one poster dealt strictly with the interaction between my dad and my children and grandchild. The other had pictures of him with his kids (my sisters and I), old school pics, army pics, etc. I don't know if you will be able to see his gardening pictures but he had an incredible green thumb. He grew a 19 pound sweet potato of which he was very proud. We have a lot of great memories and are thankful for the time we had with him (of course we want more). God is good and now dad is with him in Heaven. He is no longer sick or in pain-for which we are also thankful. I do have one card which I will share. I was working on it when dad was having his surgery. I finished it last night because I needed a St. Patrick's Day card today.

Here are my posters:

I'm not sure why the one poster uploaded sideways. But as you can see, my dad was very devoted to his family-especially his grandkids-and he adored his only great granddaughter. He never let on just how much he suffered. He always said he was fine and never lost his sense of humor. He joked until the end. When dad said he was having a bad day, I knew it was truly a bad day because he would never admit that he felt bad. I was afraid the end was nearing, but thought the procedure he had done would help like it had in the past. We never dreamed going into the cath lab that we would never see him conscious again. This experience has given me a lot to think about. Goodbye Dad. I love you and I miss you, but I will do my best to make you proud! I will try to be a good Christian so that I can see you again someday. I know you're at the foot of the throne praising God and smiling. Thank you God for giving me such a great man to call Father!

I know this post is long, but here is the card that I finally completed:

 I was going to enter this in some challenges but unfortunately, the deadlines are past. I found the leprechaun and pot of gold by doing a google search for them. I don't know where they came from, but they were already colored. I just had to cut them out. I did change up the pot of gold though. I cut along the lip of the pot and glued buttons over the existing gold. I covered them with stickles to make them shine. The sentiment was from CDACs progressive challenge number 12. I can't think of the artist right now and forgot to look. I will change this when I find it out. I just pasted different papers on the background and added a strip of ribbon for texture. I colored the sentiment and added stickles to make it sparkle. I think that all of the paper were from Creative Memories shades of Olive. I was able to find the following challenges to enter this in:
http://useittuesday.blogspot.com/


Hopefully my next blog will be business as usual. Have a great week!

12 comments:

DIANA L. said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your father, losing a parent is never easy. What a wonderful blog tribute for your father . My prayers go to you and your family.

You made a wonderful St. Patrick's day card.


DIANA L.
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com

Jean said...

Sorry to hear about your father. Great card. Thanks for playing along with us at Decorate to Celebrate.

Rhonda Emery said...

it saddens me about your dad. it is hard to hear and deal with. your card is fab. thank you for joining us at decorate to celebrate. hugs and take care of yourself.

Lisa said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I hope you take comfort knowing your Dad is no longer suffering and that he is safely at God's side. Putting the tributes together had to be so hard but you did a fabulous job. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Your St. Patty's Day card is so awesome...I love it!! Thanks so much for playing along at Decorate to Celebrate :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts
Decorate to Celebrate DT

lalkygirl said...

I am so sorry for your loss...your posters are wonderful and such a beautiful way to honour your father
thanks for joining us at the poodle parlour with your fab creation and good luck
tracey x

Amy said...

So sorry about your father- very nice pictures and project. Thanks for playing at Decorate to Celebrate!
:)Amy
Amy's Crafting Space
Decorate To Celebrate Design Team Member

Sonya said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

Your "green" card is adorable...glad you joined us at UIT this week.

Norma said...

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your dad, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family on this very difficult time. Beautiful layouts put together to honor your father!
Big Hugs,
Norma

Irini said...

I am so sorry for your loss!!!!
Thanks so much for playing along with us at Use It Tuesday!
hugz
irini

Melissa said...

Cute card, thanks for joining CCC!

Karen said...

My sympathies are with you hun - you have put a wonderful layout together to honour your your Father. A lovely card too.

Wishing you well and the strength you need at this sad time.
Thank you so much for joining us for our challenge and good luck!

Krafty Karen DT for Poodles Parlour.xx

sophiesmama said...

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Dad! I can tell from the photographs, and your loving memories, that he was a wonderful man and a devoted father. God bless you...you will see him again!
Thanks so much for entering your adorable card in Cricut Cardz Challenge...random.org has picked you as the WINNER! Congratulations! Please send your address to cardztv@gmail.com and I'll get your prize in the mail!
Hugs,
Mary