Monday, January 5, 2015

The first LTSCB 2015 Challenge: Steampunk Birthday Card

Happy New Year to all of you! I am soooo excited to share this card with you-I absolutely love it! First things first though. This is the first challenge of 2015 over at the Love To Scrap Challenge Blog. We want to see you use something on your creation that begins with at least one of these letters: L T S C B. This challenge runs from January 5th to the 19th. We have 3 great sponsors, so you have 3 chances to win. Our fabulous sponsors are:

Prize: 3 images to winner




Prize: $25 gift certificate


Prize: $10 gift certificate
 

Team C (my team) got to work with Stitchy Bear images. I chose Steampunk from BB Kakes. This artist has a lot of fabulous images to choose from. This particular image comes as a 3 pc set, which is great because it lets you choose the whole image like I did, or just the frame or girl individually. I think the frame would look great with different things like robots and airplanes for some great guy cards.

I have never worked with a steampunk image like this. I am not usually comfortable working with them although I have always loved the creations that others have done. When I saw this image I thought that it would be perfect for this challenge. I have a lot of fun Tim Holtz products that I could use. Here is what I came up with:





I believe that this is called a gatefold pocket card. I really love how it turned out. I did run into a serious problem: MY VAGABOND BROKE-AHHHH!!! Those of you who die cut a lot can understand just how devastating that was. Stupid me forgot to take out the shim when I tried to emboss something on my previous project. That caused the rollers to break:( Luckily I have a friend who owns the local scrapbook store. She let me use her vagabond and cuttlebug to cut and emboss my gears. Whew! Now I just have to get my vagabond shipped to Sizzix for repair or replacement.

Back to my card. I copied the image twice. I colored one of them (the girl and gears) with copics a cut them  out. I used a Wink of Stella clear brush to glitter it up. I also used stickles on the feathers, arrow of necklace, and purple gear. Silver Liquid Pearls on the gears gave some added dimension. I glued Tim Holtz mini gears over the ones on the hat using CTMH Liquid Glass. I had a key that was made with mod melts. I used silver alcohol ink to color it (original color was white). I also used used the silver and gold alcohol ink to make the gears on the hat look metallic. I cut a slit in the brim of the hat and layered a Tim Holtz timepiece over the clock on the image. I put spinners on it for hands and attached them with the brads that are included with them. I then used the liquid glass to attach a piece of Tim's lace chain over that part of the image. I applied the liquid glass to the lenses in the glasses as well for a realistic glass look. I used a black Wink of Stella pen to go over the outline of the frame on the other image. It wasn't glittery enough so I went over it again with the brush pen. Once I had all of that done and it dried, I popped it over the other image with foam tape. That was the long part LOL.

I cut a 6 X 12 piece of brown cardstock for the base and scored it at 3 and 9 for my folds. The clock paper is by Bobunny and I think it matches perfectly. It is a 5.5 inch square and is the pocket for this card. I only put adhesive on the sides and bottom. The silver and brown lined glitter paper is from Michaels. I had to kind of guess at how to cut each piece. The nice thing was that I could cut one 2.5 inch strip and use the diagonal to form another section. I only had to make 2 cuts for all four of the pieces. one strip made 2 panels with some left over. I used Spellbinders Sprightly Sprockets dies for all of the accent pieces. I've had this set for a long time, but had never used it until now. It has 6 different gears and I used 5 of them.

The gear on the front is actually 3 of the gears. I cut them out and layered them on a piece of acetate. I stickled the embossed parts. The sentiment is from the Tim Holtz set Simple Sayings. I cut out the frame and popped it up with foam tape after the stickles dried.  I glued the gears to the left side panel only so it would open. The gears on the inside are attached with Tim Holtz mini clips and brads.

The last thing on this image is the panel inside the pocket. Since I didn't have my vagabond, I couldn't just run the embossing folder through. This one is from Cuttlebug. I saw on someones website that they had used a rubber mallet to put just parts of a folder on their cardstock. I pounded and pounded but just could not get it to show up enough. I went over it with a rolling pin, but that didn't work either. Finally I got out a paint brush and went over every part of the indented part of the folder. That seemed to work the best. Once I got it good enough, I distressed it with Vintage Photo. I placed a piece of Tim Holtz Tissue Tape along the bottom and distressed the edges of it also. The sentiment is a birthday greeting by Purple Daisy. I attached a piece of Tim Holtz Silver Tinsel Twine using a staple from his tiny attacher.

Wow!!! This was a long post. Sorry. It was a very detailed card that sounds like it took forever to do, but really didn't (or wouldn't have if my vagabond was working). Did you catch all of the L T S C B products? I highlighted them because there were a lot LOL.

I hope that this gives you some ideas of things to use on your own creations. We would love to have you join us.

I am entering the following challenges:
http://www.aurorawingschallenge.blogspot.com/ All that Glitters
http://cardmaniachallenges.blogspot.com/ Make it Sparkle
http://craftingfromtheheartchallengeblog.blogspot.com/ Anything Goes
http://getcreativechallenges.blogspot.com/  Use 2 printed papers, 3 brads/buttons, and ribbon
http://lacysunshinechallengeblog.blogspot.com/ New and sparkly (new image)

11 comments:

Olivia1 said...

Love those gears in the bright colors! So many neat details on your card. You did a great job with the steampunk. Linda:)

BrendaB said...

Very cool! I love the different shape and fold on this card. You really rocked the steampunk style!

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

I'm speechless. This is absolutely fabulous. The bright colors, design and embellishments are just amazing!
Fabulous job :o)

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

It's so cool! You did a great job with the steampunk.
Hugs

Leslie said...

Absolutely stunning steampunk creation, Annette! I love every detail on this and you definitely rocked this challenge!
Hugs,
Leslie
Love To Scrap!
Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog
Crafty Cardmakers and more

Stephanie said...

Oh this is a cute card, love all the fun stuff on her hat and your coloring is wonderful.

Lillian A said...

Wow, cute, detailed card - but when all is said and done, this is very striking -- love all the little cogs and sprockets and gears!

DonnaMundinger said...

What a fabulous design and fun bright colors, Annette! Such a gorgeous card! Bummer about your Vagabond (hate to say I've been there, done that myself) Hope you get it back quickly. Thanks so much for joining our All That Glitters Challenge at Aurora Wings. xxD

Pia S said...

I really like how this card turned out. I haven't made many gate fold cards before, and never one with a pocket, I think it's a great idea! And I do love this colorful steampunk style!

Natasja's Kaarten said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for joining our " Sparkly and New " challenge at Lacy Sunshine challenge blog.

Natasja
DT Lacy Sunshine

Unknown said...

Such a sweet card! Thanks for joining in Card Mania Challenge