Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dragon Birthday Card

My son, Adam, celebrated his 16th birthday on the 14th. We are having family over this Saturday to celebrate. I made this card for him:

I love how pictures make things look better. You can't see the flaws and mistakes:) Anyway, I searched for chinese characters for "Happy Birthday" and printed them out on the computer. I had to print them smaller to fit on the tag. That made them very difficult to cut out. Then I inked the tag using Peeled Paint and Vintage Photo Distress Inks and glued the characters to them. That was kind of time consuming. The dragon was done using a stencil, PK Glitz Wonderfilm and PK Glitz embossing powders. Since wonderfilm is double-sided adhesive, I stuck one side to white cardstock. For my first attempt I just stuck the whole stencil to the wonderfilm thinking I could just pull it back off when I was ready. I filled in the stencil with the Poppy Jasper and Honey EP Max embossing glitter. I discovered that wonderfilm is really sticky! I could barely get the stencil off. It caused the cardstock to bend and wrinkle. I covered the rest of the piece with Meadow embossing glitter and heat set everything. Because the cardstock was wrinkled, you could see the wrinkles through the glitter.

I tried a second time by leaving the slick surface on and taping the stencil to it. Then I took a craft knife and cut through the protective nonsticky surface, tracing the design of the stencil. I then had to peel each little piece off and cover it with the colors I wanted to use. This took a lot longer, but turned out alot better.

The base card is white cardstock that I colored around with colored pencil and blended with Gambit Mineral Spirits. I just used some paper that I had at home for the layers. I attached ribbon and the sentiment (which is also done with the pencils and blending technique). The sentiment was cut out using a punch from EK Success. Use It Tuesday wants you to use things that you have had for a while. Everything here is stuff that I've had for a long time. The background papers are from Creative Memories and I have had them for probably at least 5 years.

This card is going into the following challenges:
http://pollycraftchallengeblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/challenge-136-cute-critters-anita.html
http://craftybootschallenges.blogspot.com/2012/04/no-girls-allowed.html
http://paperplaytime.blogspot.com/2012/04/ch-72-say-it-with-sentiments-theme.html
http://sparklesforumchallenges.blogspot.com/2012/04/challenge-31-men-only.html
http://craftyourpassionchallenges.blogspot.com/2012/04/challenge-106-die-cuts-and-punches.html
http://seemsalittlesketchy.blogspot.com/2012/04/sketch-11-sponsored-by-squigglefly-and.html
http://useittuesday.blogspot.com/2012/04/challenge-29-anything-goes.html
http://joyfulstamper.blogspot.com/2012/04/inspire-me-fridays-54-anything-goes.html

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

11 comments:

Georgiana said...

Happy Birthday to your son. Great card.

Hope you will come see my new projects when you get a chance.
Georgiana
Carson's Creations

Dee's Craft Room said...

Brilliant card, it is such an inspired design. Thank you for sharing it with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

Lisa said...

Happy belated birthday to your son!! This is so incredible...all of the details are stunning!! What a gorgeous card :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

shaz earl said...

Brilliant card!

thank you for joining in the fun with us at Sparkles for our ” Men Only ” challenge

Hope you will join us again soon
Good luck in the draw

Hugs Shaz x

AllisonG said...

Wow, you have a lot of patience and your card turned out great. I'm sure your son will really appreciate it! Thanks for playing along at Seems A Little Sketchy. Hope to see you back again for another sketchy challenge!

Anonymous said...

Love the glittery dragon as the focal point of your fab card.Some great techniques used.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week :D
Lisa x

Sonya said...

Awesome job, glad you joined us at UIT this week!

She's a Color Queen said...

Oh this is really cool, I like your mix of colors. Perfect guy card. Thanks for joining us at Seems a Little Sketchy!

Maria Matter said...

fabulous Annette, this is a really great design!!
So glad you shared @ Paper Playtime and
Inspire Me FRidays!!

Debbie said...

Beautiful card....smashing design. Thank you for joining us at SMC.
Debbie x

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Gorgeous card, I love the dragon image and the calligraphy on the tag looks fantastic
Lindsay xx