Sunday, February 5, 2012

My first 3x3 card



I think this has been the hardest most time consuming card yet. It seems to take me a long time to make the first card. Trial and error is a lot of my process. I try something, don't like it, try something else-until I'm satisfied. I am not sure I can say I'm really satisfied with the way the front of this card turned out, but the card is so small that I didn't have a lot of room to work with. I needed to use my cricut to decorate this card. I don't have a lot of cartridges, so I am limited when it comes to a theme like "Valentines Day. I choose to do the love you label from the Fancy Label cartridge. I made it 2.75 inches. The inticate swirls don't cut very well on smaller settings so I decided to use Tim Holtz Grunge paper (for the first time) because of its thickness and strength and because I wanted it to be like chipboard. I cut the back of the label, only to discover that I didn't have the pressure high enough. I had to finish cutting it by hand. I adjusted the pressure to high for the rest. It cut very well, so then I tried a thick paper to cover it with. I tried medium pressure, but had to switch back to high. I got all the label glued together then realized the hearts were supposed to be a different color. I embossed them white then used crystal lacquer for dimension. I covered it with clear glitter from PK Glitz because I love the sparkle that glitter gives. I loved how the hearts looked, so I did the same thing with the "love you". I wanted something different for the fold, so I chose to have my card open in the middle. I covered the front with pink gemstone coordinations paper. I then used decorative paper that I had on hand for the inside of the fronts and a textured piece of cardstock that matched. I used the Winter Wonderland cartridge to cut out the label on the inside. I cut and rounded a piece of white cardstock for the sentiment. I inked it with Fired Brick distress ink. The stamp was from a group of words from Stampendous and was also stamped with Fire Brick. The two small hearts were punched with the Creative Memories small heart punch using white cardstock (which I inked) and the textured cardstock. The front was too plain, so I took a swirly doodle stamp and stamped it using Worn Lipstick distress ink.

When all was finished I had about 4 1/2 hours of work put into it. I learned some things that will help me save time in the future (I hope). This challenge was really a challenge-but enjoyable all the same. I am entering it in the following challenge:



6 comments:

girlia said...

too cute. Thanks for playing along with us this week at CTS for the tickled pink challenge

Melissa said...

Nicely done, great job with the challenges! Thanks so much for joining CTVS!

Sharon said...

WOW!!!! This is awesome!!! Love everything about your little card! Thank you so very much for joining our Tickled Pink challenge at Cardz TV!!!! :)

Kate said...

Both cards turned out very nice. Thank you so much for joining us over at Cardz TV Stamps “Tickled Pink” Challenge. Hope to see you again.

Hugs,
Kate

Sarah said...

Great work with the challenge--very impressed with your hard work and determination and sticktoitness :) Thanks for creating with us at FCCB this week :)

scrapqueen141 said...

Very cute card! I love how it opens up, great idea! Thank you for joining us at FCCB!
http://scrapqueen141.blogspot.com/