Thursday, September 24, 2015

My version of Tim's September Tag

I just love Tim Holtz’s work, don’t you? Since I don’t have internet at home except for through my phone, I cannot follow his blog the way I would like to or participate in his classes. I stumbled across his post for his September tag. I didn’t realize that he did these every month. When I saw it had a tutorial with a lot of good mediums being used I knew I wanted to try it. I had to order most of the stuff though. Scrapbook.com was having a sale on everything so it was basically like getting free shipping plus a little extra off. That was nice-and they had everything that I needed. It was SO HARD to wait for my stuff to come!

Anyway, my stuff finally arrived and I could get started. I don’t have the stamp set that he used but an idea had come to me that I wanted to try with my own stamps. I followed Tim’s tutorial but evidently did not put my alcohol inks onto the craft sheet properly. Instead of getting each individual color on my glossy paper, the colors blended to make some beautiful shades of blue. I tried it two other times and got shades of purple. I liked the blue better so I used it. I also discovered that the frosted is thick and doesn’t die cut well. I ran it through the Vagabond twice but it did not cut clear through. I had to use scissors. One other problem that I had was when I tried to ink my flowers, the black ink disappeared. I had to reink it by putting the stamp facing up and very carefully lining up the cutout with the stamp. It wasn’t too difficult. It lined up easily thank goodness. 

I love my tag! It was so much fun! The only thing I wish I would have done differently is leaving off the black soot spritz. I liked it better before I spritzed it. I still love it though! So much texture and dimension! You can see Tim's tag Here.
Here is my take on Tim’s fabulous September tag:




Here are the other two backgrounds:



Recipe:
Large Manilla Tag
Papers: Black Cardstock, Tim Holtz Frosted, Glossy Cardstock (I tried the Archival Gloss Paper but this
               worked just as well)
Sizzix/Hero Arts Stamp & Die Set 657773
Alcohol inks: Meadow, Stream, Wild Plum, Egg Plant, and Silver Mixative
Tim Holtz Ideology Flourish stencil
Ranger Texture Paste Transparent Gloss
Distress Spray Stain: Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke
Distress Marker: Black Soot
Archival Jet Black ink
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Ideaology Word Band, Wire, Long Fasteners, Mini Prills (by USArtQuest),
                                Satin Ribbon
Tools: Heat Gun, Color Spritzer, Scissors, Palette Knife, Craft Sheet, Mini Ink Blending tool, Craft Pick, 
          water in mini mister
Adhesive: Glossy Accents

I am entering the following challenges:
http://timholtz.com/12-tags-of-2015-september/
http://www.ribbongirls.blogspot.co.uk/   Make a blue project
http://drsdesignsblog.blogspot.com/  Flying high (use something that flies)
http://quirkycrafts.blogspot.com/  Animals

3 comments:

Beulah Bee said...

I also had the same problem with the alcohol inks, all I can figure is that you might have to blot up the inks more than swipe so they don't mix all together. Your tag turned out great and I like the black spritzing. I can't believe you are just now finding out about Tim's monthly tags, he used to just do them at Christmas, 12 days in a row. Each one is a tutorial and I've learned so much by following along. Perhaps you can find time to browse through some of the previous ones, I know you won't regret it.

Grudniowe Handmade said...

Super! Lovely tag :)

Grudniowe Handmade said...

Super! Lovely tag :)